It is, without a doubt, one of the most tasty and flavorful fruits, besides its aroma which calls the attention of anyone, making them introduce this rich fruit of the forest into their favorite dishes. It is normally known in many places as raspberry or raspberry, although in others, it is called sangueso; and it is a small size fruit, in a rounded shape, which depending on its varieties (which are usually many) can come in different colors and sizes, however, the most known is the red or reddish raspberry. Its flavor tends to be bittersweet, and in many occasions, people not only eat it fresh, but also take advantage of all the qualities it provides to include it in succulent dishes capable of impressing anyone.
As it is a fruit with great aromas, in most occasions, it is used in homes or commercial places as an aromatizer; it is an easy fruit to cultivate, taking root in any terrain as long as the temperature is at an appropriate level. Many of these fruits can be given in the summer or in its defect, in autumn.
Among the main benefits of this fruit is that it helps to open the appetite, it is usually recommended for patients with diabetes, thanks to its low sugar content, serve for oral mucosa or dilated blood capillaries of the skin, among other things. Below, you will discover much more of this incredible fruit.
Origin of the Raspberry
This fruit originated precisely in the European continent, thanks to the discovery of its cultivation for the first time in Greece, precisely on Mount Ida; from there it began to be commercialized to England, Italy, Holland and North America. Currently, in most European countries raspberries are harvested and then separated as fresh fruit, many of these times for the production of jellies or flavors.
Mainly, it was the Romans who were in charge of expanding the cultivation throughout Europe, being used in its beginnings as a medicinal fruit or food eaten as a daily meal. When the colonizers arrived in America, different European species of raspberry were crossed with ancient or native species, giving rise to another kind of variety of species totally mixed.
But Europe is still the continent where it grows with superiority, demonstrating that if the climate is Atlantic, people will be able to find them in areas of low altitude, while if the climate is a little warmer, people will find their cultivation in mostly elevated areas.
Properties of the Raspberry
The raspberry is normally known for belonging to the classification of fruits of the forest, next you will know a little more of the properties that this incredible fruit provides to the human organism.
Within the nutritional properties you get the following:
- Mainly, it is characterized by being a fruit that contributes a notorious and remarkable amount of fibers, which help people to improve the intestinal transit. On the other hand, it constitutes a good source of vitamins C, ellagic acids and citric acids.
- In the same way, it is a fruit that provides the human body with a distinguished amount of flavonoids and folates, which contribute to keep away degenerative and cardiovascular diseases and even different types of cancer; on the other hand, it is a fruit that provides certain minerals such as potassium, calcium and magnesium.
- The amount of vitamin C supplied to the human body makes this fruit work as an antioxidant, so it intervenes in certain formations of collagen, teeth, bones and red blood cells, also promotes the absorption of iron from food and directly fights infections.
- Thanks to its high amount of potassium, raspberry works on the transmission and generation of the nerve impulse, which is favorable for normal muscle activity, intervening in the water balance both inside and outside the body’s cells.
Within the health properties of raspberry you get the following:
- The raspberry is an ideal fruit both to refresh and to stimulate the lack of appetite; in the same way, it is a great carrier of fibrous substances, to which an outstanding protective effect in the organism is attributed, this occurred by a mechanism of sequestration of elements and substances potentially harmful to health.
- As it is a fruit with high fiber content, it helps to accelerate the intestinal transit, making it reduce the time of harmful substances in the body through the intestinal tissue, so it prevents or improves constipation. It is an ideal fruit to reduce the risk of contracting colon cancer.
- For its part, thanks to its high potassium content, it is usually recommended for all those who suffer from high blood pressure or, failing that, blood vessel and heart conditions.
Benefits of Raspberry
Among the main benefits of raspberry you get the following:
- Thanks to the substances provided by this incredible fruit to the human body is able to prevent cancer, either prostate, breast and colorectal. This occurred because of the phytonutrients it provides, capable of decreasing the oxidative stress of the body and the inflammation that can alter the development of cancer cells.
- Consuming raspberries on a daily basis will help people prevent various diseases, such as loss of vision, glaucoma, or cataracts. On the other hand, one of the great powers of this fruit is that it helps to reduce the level of hypertension, favoring capillary resistance and avoiding some processes in terms of bleeding.
- Another benefit of raspberry is that thanks to its folic acid content, it is beneficial for pregnant women, who will prevent at all costs, side effects in the formation of the developing fetus.
- Raspberry is a fruit that provides anti-carcinogenic benefits, as well as antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It is a fruit that helps with obesity, diabetes and atherosclerosis, due to the notorious amount of ellagic acid, which prevents the development of these kinds of disorders.
- In the same way, it is a fruit that supplies adequate substances in vitamins C, which work as natural antioxidants, which directly help to trap all the free radicals in the human organism, also fights certain infections and protects the immune system.
Types of Raspberry
You get them in different ways, among the main ones you get them when they are harvested either in summer, which are the majority of raspberries, and they tend to mature from July to August, and among the best known varieties is the Latham raspberry; on the other hand, in autumn, you get others like the well called Amity, being this type of raspberry extremely dark red.
Due to its characteristics, this type of raspberry stands out: the pure varieties, which have not undergone any type of hybridization; the hybrid varieties, new raspberries have been obtained due to their process of crossing with pure varieties.
Currently, among the types of raspberries with hybrid varieties are Loganberry, Golden raspberries and Blackberry raspberries, characterized by crossing mostly with varieties belonging to American regions.
While there are other types of raspberries that you know for their colors, among these the following stand out:
It is known as Rubus Idaeus and is so called because of its extremely opaque blue color. This type of raspberry tends to be assimilated with the black raspberry, however, they are very different. It is originated in Mexico, Colombia and Canada and turns out to be a valuable fruit due to its high content in anthocyanins.
Among the benefits it brings to the human body is that it significantly favors the immune system, prevents the growth of cancer cells and is an ideal fruit for the healing process when contracting any wound.
Normally it is obtained in wild states more than everything in rivers or roads, since they tend to grow in places with abundant humidity or in its defect, in very high zones. They are originated in North America, Asia and Europe.
Among the main benefits you get that black raspberry is one of the biggest fruits with antioxidant properties, because thanks to its chemical substance produces an acid called ellagic, which directly destroys all the cancer molecules or free radicals.
It is a fruit that occurs mostly in places of India and North America, where they are obtained in a wild way. It is an ideal fruit that is often used for jellies and jams.
Among its main benefits is its high content of vitamin C, which helps different metabolic processes in the human body, likewise, has anti-inflammatory properties, and works as a highly natural diuretic.
It is one of the varieties of raspberries most recommended by doctors and specialists, along with red raspberries provide a large supply of nutrients needed for everyday life of people.
Among the main benefits you get it is a fruit allied to lose weight because of its low calorie content, in addition, many of them work as perfect antioxidants. It is one of the raspberries that provides more fiber to the human body.
The raspberry tree has the name raspberry, it is a lively plant with a biannual cycle, which flowers and bears fruit in the second year of life, which is why the aerial part that has been fruiting tends to die, and is replaced by new and different stems.
It is a bush that measures approximately 60 cm high and normally grows in stony areas of different mountains, so in granitic lands it tends to be ideal. Its grains are semi-woody and straight, likewise, they have thorns.
The leaves of the raspberry are alternate, composed between 3.5 or 8 oval leaflets, extremely pointed, being these of jagged edges. They normally measure between 5 and 8 centimeters. The flowers produced are pentameras, tending to be white and extremely small.
Does Raspberry Make You Fat ?
Raspberries are an important and fundamental food for people not to get fat, helping them to lose weight thanks to their water intake and their high fat content, which help people to stay in line or, failing that, to lose a few extra kilos.
Does Raspberry Have Fiber ?
Raspberries provide a total of 8 grams of fiber, so it is a remarkable amount of fiber to the body, which helps effectively and guaranteed intestinal transit.
Thanks to the fiber that contributes, this one manages to catch certain compounds that are excreted, which benefit the people with the constipation, the biliary lithiasis and the acceleration of the intestinal traffic.
Does Raspberry Have Sugar ?
The raspberry is a fruit that contains little amount of sugar, only 4.42 grams of sugar per 100 grams.
Therefore, it is an ideal fruit for people who suffer from diabetes or, failing that, from disorders such as obesity, since it does not provide notorious amounts of sugar that can affect the human body and the retention of liquids found in the blood.
Does Raspberry Get Fat At Night?
Raspberries are not fattening, neither during the day nor at night. On the contrary, they are a fruit that can be introduced into slimming diets since they provide low levels of calories to the human body.
Besides, raspberry is a perfect ally to consume daily, it has diuretic properties, which helps effectively to eliminate all the substances positioned in the body. It is an ideal fruit to lose weight.
Is Raspberry Diuretic ?
The raspberry besides being ideal for constipation, tends to be a depurative or natural diuretic, thanks to its high content in good fibers, which lower cholesterol and be remineralized, stimulating the reactions of the body’s defense against toxins positioned somewhere in the human body.
It serves to eliminate any liquid retention that people have, through the process of urine, which turns out to be good even for those individuals who want to lose weight in a diuretic way.
Is Raspberry Good For Digestion ?
In general, berries are good for digestion and since raspberry belongs to that type of fruit classification, it tends to be ideal for the stomach.
Not only are they good for the stomach’s digestive processes, but they also keep constipation away, any heartburn that may occur, prevent burning on the stomach walls and help directly fight inflammation in the intestinal transit.
Does Raspberry Make You Lose Weight ?
Raspberries, besides being nutritious and healthy, are one of the fruits that contribute few calories to the human organism, so it is a fruit that does not get fat, on the contrary, it is recommended to people to include it within the system of balanced feeding in a habitual way so that they lose weight in an effective, guaranteed and healthy way.
It is one of the least caloric fruits for the human body, providing only 32 calories per 100 grams. Up to 88% of its composition is water, it does not stand out as a source of protein, nor of fats and carbohydrates, so it is recommended that people who want to lose weight consume it frequently.
History of the Raspberry
The raspberry, appears for the first time in the history of the European continent, mainly on Mount Ida in Greece. It began to move from the Hellenic Peninsula, to Italy by the Romans, and from there it had a long journey, which would extend from the Netherlands to England.
It is recorded in history when raspberries were brought to North America by the Roman colonizers. Likewise, the United States today is one of the world’s largest distributors of this fruit, since part of its cultivation is found in these places, mostly in the area of California.
Topics Related to Fruits in ALPHAPEDIA
Health and Wellness Issues at ALFAPEDIA
Other Topics of Interest in ALFAPEDIA
Image of RASPBERRIES