Persimmon is considered a completely tropical fruit, with a reddish orange color, smooth skin and an extremely sweet flavor. It is a fruit that tends to be consumed fresh, being used mostly in cakes or jams for trade.
It stands out for its ample contribution in vitamins A, B and C, giving it antioxidant properties, helping to eliminate and prevent all the free radicals that want to position themselves in people’s organisms. It belongs to the following classification of fruits: fruits rich in fiber, fruits good for digestion, fruits with vitamins C, fruits with potassium, astringent fruits, antioxidant fruits, diuretic fruits, fruits that serve to lose weight, among others.
Origin of Persimmon
The persimmon, kaki or rosewood, is a fruit that originated in China, being the national fruit of Japan; its color is reddish orange, so in many occasions, it resembles the tomato. For its part, its pulp is usually succulent, completely sweet and in different cases, gelatinous, captivating people who consume it. The scientific name of this fruit is Diospyros kaki, which means fruit of the divine fire, so its presence in the East, is of great importance to the inhabitants of that place.
Persimmon is usually heart-shaped, so it is often linked to cardiovascular diseases, bringing great benefits to the health of it. Its pulp turns out to be sweet and with a completely smooth and creamy texture.
Properties of Persimmon
Within the nutritional properties of this wonderful fruit such as persimmon/kaki, people can get the following:
- Persimmon is mostly characterized by its high lycopene content, which is a highly effective antioxidant, capable of boosting heart health quickly, as well as potentially helping people protect against all types of cancer.
- It is a fruit that has a substance called lutein, which helps protect against macular degeneration, which is linked and directly related to age (AMD) and visual health, mainly avoiding night blindness and cataracts.
- Also stands out its pleasant contribution in zeaxanthin, catechins and betulinic acids, helping to work in the body against degenerative diseases, preventing bleeding from blood vessels and serving as a great anti-tumor action in the human body in general.
- It is a fruit that stands out for its ample water content, providing notorious amounts of carbohydrates, both fructose and glucose; it is considered a food that provides high caloric values with respect to other types of fruits.
- As for its contribution in fiber, it is a fruit that contains pectin, more than anything else of a soluble type, so it helps notably in the digestive tract and in all the processes of the stomach, avoiding the constant constipations and the frequent stomach pains.
- For its part, within the health properties of this incredible fruit as is the khaki, this stands out for the following:
- Thanks to its ample contribution in provitamin A, its consumption is almost always recommended to people, especially to those who have a greater risk of suffering some deficiency with this vitamin.
- It is considered a fruit with great contributions in vitamin A as well as in vitamin C, which gives it antioxidant properties, contributing to reduce the risk of different cardiovascular and degenerative diseases, and even cancer.
Benefits of Persimmon
Among the main benefits of this wonderful fruit like persimmon, people find the following:
- The persimmon helps quickly in the digestive system of people, more than anything because of its great source of fiber, which helps work as an agent in the body that is in charge of processing all the foods that are ingested, making this process a little more efficient, stimulating all the movements of the intestines and thus relieving, the stomach pains and the symptoms of constipation.
- The persimmon, in turn, increases the capacity of the good functioning of the immune system in general, thanks to the pleasant presence of vitamin C that is in charge of providing this food, making the immune system be stimulated, and thus increasing the production of white blood cells, which are the main engines of this system. It is a fruit that faces different infections in a more effective way.
- Persimmon is a food that helps prevent early aging in people, mostly because of its content in vitamin A and lutein, which work directly in the human body as a natural antioxidant.
Thanks to its notorious nutritional properties, persimmon causes the prevention of signs of aging in the body, such as wrinkles, muscle weakness, constant fatigue, to be completely removed, due to its constant consumption.
- In the same way, persimmon is an excellent ally to improve visual health, thanks to its wide content of B-complex, which is directly linked to the eye health of people, helping to reduce the risk of suffering from different visual diseases, such as night blindness and possible cataracts.
- Persimmon helps fight all types of cancer due to its high antioxidant power, making free radicals neutralize and eliminate them from the root, thanks to the fact that it is considered a fruit high in antioxidant properties; however, it is ideal to consume it carefully so that it does not generate constant reactions or a chain effect, which over time, can be uncontrollable.
Types of Persimmon
Within the main types or varieties of persimmon, people find the following:
It is a very common variety, mostly in the European continent, due to its characteristics in brown tones as well as in its flavor, which is similar to trying a chocolate; however, in history it is written how this crop was mainly called aphrodisiac persimmon.
This type of cultivation comes in a pale orange tone, and at the moment of maturation, it begins to obtain a brilliant color unique in its species. Its size is very similar to that of a tomato, and it is one of the most common varieties on the market. It is aromatic, fresh, crisp and known as kaki fuyu or kaki fuji.
This classification of the persimmon is originated in Japan, having an acorn shape almost always, resembling the size of a medium sized peach, with a bright orange color. Its skin tends to be soft, so in many occasions it is implemented as a pudding when it is completely mature; in general terms this persimmon is opaque but it calls the attention at first sight, while its flavor is completely sweet.
This kind of cultivation of persimmon comes from the river valley in Israel; it has a peculiar shape, semi-rounded, contains a seed inside, often resembling a tomato. Its colors are orange, with shiny skins that at the moment of maturation change to red. Its flavor is soft and sweet, making it easy to eat.
This kind of crop is often seen in the United States, mostly in Florida, with a cone shape, having a yellow-orange skin color. It is consumed almost always in a mature way, since with the passing of the days, this culture can lose all its sweet and aromatic flavor.
Around the world they continue to grow different types of persimmon, mostly because it is a completely astringent fruit, so their attention is constantly on it. Among the kakis mostly planted at international level, the red kakis of carlet, the kakis formateros, the kakis guyrenj, among others, stand out.
The persimmon/kaki tree is approximately 20 meters high, being a plant with few branches. Its leaves are generally deciduous, oval and in many cases, hairy on the underside. Similarly, its flowers can be both female and male or, failing that, hermaphrodite. There are many times, that the persimmon tree can appear with only one type of flower or with more than one.
At present, it has been discovered that there are two types of persimmon trees, which are the Dyospiros Kaki and the Dyospiros Lotus, both being used as a pattern in different crops.
In a certain way, the size of this tree branches out, mostly in a pyramidal shape, although as the years go by, it becomes a little more globular. Among the wild persimmon trees, the Dyospiros
Virginiana stands out, although on many occasions, it is not frequent and is found every 30 years.
The leaves of the persimmon tree have a greenish tonality, and when time passes, it changes to orange-red. Most are deciduous and oval. The reproduction system of the persimmon tree is extremely peculiar, because of its diverse flowers, which stand out from the distance.
Does the Persimmon Get Fat ?
This wonderful fruit does not help people to get fat, thanks to the nutritious properties that it possesses, making people consume it frequently without feeling fear that they will get fat.
However, if it is recommended that their portions are completely measured during the day, so that it does not alter the caloric levels in the organism and people feel frustrated later because they will modify their current and ideal weight.
Does Khaki Have Fiber ?
Persimmon is considered a fruit that provides fiber to the human body, so it helps notably in situations of constipation, mostly because of the levels of pectin and mucilage it has, which help retain water, increasing the volume of feces and facilitating in some way, their evacuation. Many times, this fruit is considered a natural laxative.
In the same way, it is a fruit that can also be consumed in case people suffer from diarrhea, and if you want to achieve its effect mostly, it should be consumed in a ripe way, so that its content is at its optimal point of concentration.
Although, it is a fruit that helps in different occasions of the digestive operation thanks to the amount of fiber that is able to supply to the human body; more than everything, because it is a fruit that can help in the elevated levels of cholesterol, causing that its digestive tract works suitably.
Does Persimmon Have Sugar ?
For its part, persimmon supplies a total of 13 grams of sugar to the body; being one of the few fruits that is responsible for providing high amounts of this component, however, it is not a food that represents risks, especially for those people who suffer from diabetes type 2 or failing that, overweight or obesity.
Does Persimmon Get Fat at Night ?
The persimmon is not a fruit that is considered to have a high caloric content, in spite of the fact that it contributes with notable quantities of carbohydrates and sugars; since if it is consumed during the day as well as at night, its properties do not tend to be modified, causing people to neither gain weight nor lose weight during the night.
In addition, it is generally a fruit that helps to reduce people, so it is advisable to include it in the balanced diet system so that it helps people more than anything else in the proper functioning of the digestive process.
Is Khaki a Diuretic ?
The persimmon is a fruit that helps to reduce notably the retention of liquid in the blood, since it is a fruit practically free of fats, with a high content in water; in addition, it is low in sodium, helping in a direct way to eliminate the liquids retained in the body and facilitating the balance of the water in the organism, for what it turns it into a fruit highly recommended as natural diuretic.
Thanks to its high contribution of both water and potassium, persimmon is responsible for the regulation of water within the cells; since the amount of sodium is diminished, it can notably increase the consumption of potassium, serving as an immediate effect for the retention of liquids, which are eliminated in a natural way, helping the renal function to function perfectly.
Is Persimmon Good For Digestion?
This type of fruit helps to stimulate the good health of the digestive system, thanks to its high quantity in fiber, as much soluble as insoluble, which provides cellulose in a direct way during the process of digestion, having an effect of sweeping to the instant, which turns out to be essential to improve the whole stomach health and therefore, all the digestive processes.
Thanks to a good functioning in the intestinal tract, it helps prevent the development of different anal infections, as well as, in the development of colon cancer. So persimmon helps prevent all this, relieving constipation levels, and in turn, fighting painful hemorrhoids that may be in the body.
Does Khaki Make You Thinner ?
This incredible fruit helps to promote weight loss, since it contributes high levels of fiber content, becoming a great ally for all those people who manage to maintain a healthy weight and at the same time, need to reduce the levels of body fat that they have in their organism.
Within the main composition by each 100 grams consumed of this wonderful fruit as it is the khaki, it contributes a total of 70 calories to the human body, reason why it does not represent high levels in caloric values that modify the weight of the people, on the contrary, it is a fruit that helps to lose weight to the people, if it is consumed frequently and with the corresponding daily doses.
In the same way, it is a fruit that is in charge to also contribute levels in carbohydrates, which provides a total of 16 grams to the organism; in fiber a total of 3.5 grams; in potassium 190 milligrams; in magnesium 10 milligrams; in vitamin C 17 milligrams; among others.
History of Persimmon
This particular fruit is native to both China and Japan, where its first cultivation dates back to the 8th century; later, it began to be introduced in different Western countries, such as the United States, France, Spain and Italy, all around the 19th century.
Among the main producing countries of this wonderful fruit, the following stand out: Israel, Italy, United States, Brazil, India and Spain. Most of its production is astringent crops, being the most common the tomato khaki, the fat khaki, the bright red khaki, among others.
Topics Related to Fruits in ALPHAPEDIA
Health and Wellness Issues at ALFAPEDIA
Other Topics of Interest in ALFAPEDIA