Liberalization of energy markets is causing a real techno-economic revolution. Ensuring a clean, affordable and secure energy supply is one of society’s key challenges. These phenomena make the issue of energy engineering highly topical.
Many universities offer Master’s degree programs in Energy with the aim of training energy professionals who are widely educated in all components of energy through quantitative analytical methods and multi-scale systems approaches. Many of these Master Degree in Energy programs are offered free of charge or are funded by a scholarship.
A free Master of Energy program will enable students to influence, change, and guide critical decision making in the energy sector by developing a unique set of skills needed to analyze energy systems from a technical, commercial, and political point of view.
This program is designed to meet the constant need for experts in the entire energy sector, equipping students with the necessary experience to develop careers in a constantly evolving field and to be able to identify new business models and energy market designs.
The Master of Energy program is for students who have earned a degree in engineering, science, business, finance or economics and are looking to start a career or make a change in the energy sector. It is an excellent program for energy professionals looking to complement their knowledge and enhance their careers.
What is a Master Degree in Energy ?
A Master of Energy is a graduate program that focuses on providing students with specific skills in energy fundamentals, technologies, industries and markets, policies and strategies, addressing investment challenges and technology solutions.
Students may choose from a variety of courses aligned to specialized pathways of study. These include focusing on a specific form of energy, such as wind or geothermal, or engineering technology, environmental sciences, or business.
This program provides an overview of technology and resource economy issues of the industry. It teaches the fundamentals of oil, gas, and electric industry as well as generates in-depth student understanding of the ongoing energy transition.
The basic energy courses in this program respond to significant changes in the industry due to the growing demand for energy, sustainable development, and green transition worldwide. The student in this master’s program will have the opportunity to complete a research component that requires working on a problem relevant to the industry, covering economic, environmental, technical, or regulatory issues.
Program, Subjects and Content of the Master Degree in Energy
These are some of the topics that can be included in the program content of a Master’s degree in Energy:
- Energy resources
- Energy Technology
- Understanding the Global Scenario
- The global energy landscape
- Highlights from the oil and gas, hydroelectric, solar and wind onshore/offshore sectors
- Energy and society and geopolitical issues
- Perspectives of sustainability in the energy industry
- Governance of complex energy projects
- Business Economics and Value Creation
- Upstream, midstream and downstream oil
- Natural gas markets and value chain
- Techno-economics of energy generation
- Energy markets and trade
- Global and regional laws and regulations
- Regulations of the electricity and gas markets, including third party access
- Business models in the green energy transition in the energy industry
- HSE problems in action (Health, Safety and Environment)
- The challenge of climate change
- Market and energy efficiency policies
- Regulation and CO2 markets
- Evaluation and financing of energy projects
How Long Does the Master Degree in Energy Take ?
A Master of Energy program generally takes between 1 and 2 years of full-time study to complete. The length of time will depend on the school, the modality, the master’s curriculum, among other factors.
Where can I Work with the Master of Energy?
A Master’s Degree in Energy prepares you for senior consulting positions around the world, and your career path depends on technical skills and research focus.
Some career prospects include: environmental scientist, geophysicist, management control superintendent, market services analyst, mineral resources specialist, recycling and construction manager, deposit engineer, risk and electrical market analyst, among others.
Countries and Cities Where You Can Study the Master Degree in Energy for Free Obtaining a Scholarship
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom
- United States
Institutes, Centers and Universities where the Master Degree in Energy is Possibly Taught for Free, through Scholarships
Master’s Degree in Energy
- The University of Auckland
- Auckland, New Zealand.
Executive Master of Energy Management
- BI Norwegian Business School
- Oslo, Norway.
Master of Science in Energy Systems
- Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology (Skoltech)
- Moscow, Russia.
Master’s Degree in Energy Management
- ESCP Business School – London Campus
- London, United Kingdom.
Master in Energy Policy
- University of Sussex Business School
- Brighton, United Kingdom.
Master in Sustainable Energy Systems
- Upper Austrian University of Applied Sciences
- Wels, Austria.
Master of Science in Energy
- Texas A&M Energy Institute
- College Station, TX, United States.
Master’s Degree in Energy Systems Management
- University of San Francisco – School of Arts and Sciences
- San Francisco, United States.
Master in Materials and Processes for Sustainable Energy
- Tallinn University of Technology
- Tallinn, Estonia.
Master of Science in Energy
- Utrecht University
- Utrecht, The Netherlands.
Master in Energy Systems
- The University of Melbourne
- Victoria, Australia.
Master of Arts in Energy Studies
- The University of Queensland
- St Lucia, Australia.
Master of Science in Sustainable Energy Technology
- Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
- Suzhou, China.
Master Degree in Energy Reference Prices
The prices of the Master of Energy can be varied. The prices of these masters are between $4,680 and $28,720 per year. In some cases it may cost more.
The cost of this master’s degree will vary depending on the country where it is taught, the institution or university that teaches the master’s degree, the modality, duration, and materials provided during the study, among other factors.
Click for Other Studies at Different Academic Levels
Other Topics of Interest in ALPHAPEDIA
Image of MASTER DEGREE