Hemotherapy is the treatment of diseases through the use of blood or blood products, as in transfusion. It includes several types of connected processes such as: partial blood transfusion; total blood transfusion; application of red blood cells concentrate, application of plasma, among others.
It involves the removal of a small amount of blood from the vein and reinjection of the same blood into a muscle or vein. The goal of the therapy is to improve the immune system’s ability to fight disease.
The blood retains its normal components: the usual complement of hormones, antibodies, minerals and salts. Any metabolic by-products resulting from acute or long-lasting diseases will also be present in the blood and their reintroduction to the patient will force the body to mount a new immune response to the substances causing the disease.
The blood can be mixed with a homeopathic remedy or ozone (an unstable form of oxygen) before being reinjected into the patient. The dose and interval depends on the patient’s individual needs.
This technique has been part of the Issels Treatment of Immune Disorders, chronic degenerative diseases and cancer. Some doctors also like to use Hemotherapy for skin conditions. Eczema, psoriasis and healing burns may also be candidates for hemotherapy.
In these cases, the body not only doubles its efforts to fight the disease, but the injection also draws more blood to the affected area. This promotes healing by helping cells renew themselves more quickly. There are universities and institutions that offer this program for free or offer the possibility of a scholarship.
The Hemotherapy program offers a complete learning experience in the science of transfusion and blood therapies, creating students trained in transfusion management and blood improvement.
This program includes quality and safety of blood products, therapy with blood and plasma components, issues related to transfusion in transplantation, stem cell manipulation. Therapeutic and diagnostic problems of hemostasis, immuno-hematological research and legal aspects of blood products production. as well as hemotherapy.
What is and What Does a Bachelor in Hemotherapy Do ?
A Hemotherapist is a person with professional studies in blood therapies or hemotherapy, they are people capable of working with the handling of transfusions and improvement of the blood.
During a typical session, a physician may wrap a tourniquet around the patient’s arm to stimulate a vein to bulge against the skin. The physician then usually removes a single vial of blood and bandages the needle wound.
The blood is then injected back into the patient, usually into a muscular part of the body, such as a thigh or buttock. Re-injection is like getting a vaccine, so there is no need to re-inject the blood into a vein. Rather, it enters the muscle and is distributed throughout the body.
Some of their responsibilities are:
- Explain the principle of testing for specific blood typing procedures with associated quality assurance.
- Conducting “Pre-transfusion” research. To be able to explain the sources of error and make a clear record of the work done.
- Can perform screening, identification and quantification (titration) of specific blood type antibodies with associated control.
- Be aware of blood collection procedures and the manufacture and storage of blood components.
- Know the purpose of transfusion therapy and the various forms of transfusion.
- Treat hemolytic disease in fetuses and newborns and autohemolytic disease in adults.
- Treats complications of hemotherapy and transfusions.
- Know the importance of quality assurance in the blood bank laboratory.
Program, Subjects and Content of the Bachelor Degree in Hemotherapy
These are some of the topics that can be included in the programmatic content of a Hemotherapy Degree:
- Blood types; classification and nomenclature; antigen, antibody and heredity
- Antibodies of irregular blood groups; screening, identification and titration
- The clinical relevance of various immunhematology research.
- Blood donation procedures
- Manufacture of blood components
- Complications of hemotherapy and transfusion
- Quality assurance in the blood bank’s laboratory
- Stem cells / hematopoiesis
- Transfusion Medicine
- Host-Pathogen Interactions
- Vascular biology / transplantation
- Biomedical Engineering
How Long Does the Bachelor Degree in Hemotherapy Take ?
A Bachelor’s degree in Hemotherapy lasts 2 to 4 years.
Where can I Work with the Hemotherapy Career ?
Some titles related to the career:
- Analytical Chemist
- Blood Bank Technologist
- Medical Laboratory Manager
- Common types of employers in the Hemotherapy area
- Private and non-profit organizations
- Biotechnology companies
- Diagnostic testing companies
- Blood banks
- Schools / Universities
Countries and Cities Where You Can Study the Bachelor Degree in Hemotherapy for Free Obtaining a Scholarship
- United States
- United Kingdom
- South Africa
Institutes, Centers, and Universities Where the Bachelor Degree in Hemotherapy is Possibly Taught for Free, through Scholarships
Bachelor’s Degree in Blood Banking / Immunohematology
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Wisconsin, United States.
Medical Laboratory Technology and Immunohematology Program
- Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Trondheim, Norway.
Program in Biomedical Sciences (Hematology and Transfusion Sciences)
- Middlesex University
- London, United Kingdom.
Transfusion Science Program
- University of Canberra
- Canberra, Australia.
Transfusion Medicine Afc Program
- University of Toronto
- Ontario, Canada.
Transfusion Medicine Program
- Free State University
- Bloemfontein, South Africa.
Reference Prices for the Bachelor of Hemotherapy
The prices of the Hemotherapy Degree can be varied. The prices of these degrees are between $4,600 and $28,700. In some cases it can have a higher cost.
The cost of this degree will vary according to the country where it is taught, the institution or university that teaches the degree, the modality, the duration and the materials provided during the study, among other factors.
Click for Other Studies at Different Academic Levels
Other Topics of Interest in ALPHAPEDIA
Image of BACHELOR DEGREE
Resumen / Summary
Título / Article Name
FREE BACHELOR DEGREE IN HEMOTHERAPY
Descripción / Description
Free Bachelor Degree in Hemotherapy: What It Is, Its Purpose, Content, Subjects, Duration, Labor Sector, Countries, Universities and Price
Autor / Author
Juan Carlos Franco
Autor / Publisher Name
Logo / Publisher Logo