The archives exist both to preserve historical materials and to make them available for use. Archivists work where it is important to retain the records of individuals or organizations, including universities, large corporations, libraries and museums, government institutions, hospitals, historical societies and religious communities, among other institutions.
They work with digital documents, rare manuscripts, analog films, letters, postcards, journals, photographs, organizational records, and that is just the beginning.
If you are newly qualified and embarking on a career in archives, records management or archival preservation, or looking to develop new skills that will help you do your current job a little better or, indeed, pursue a new career, then taking an Archives Course is certainly a good option.
A number of public and private institutions now offer training courses in records management. Many of these institutions offer these courses free of charge. Other institutions offer these courses for a fee
This Records and Archives Management training course is suitable for those who want to know more about how to classify records, define and maintain different systems, and develop a thorough understanding of the importance of records management.
What are the Archives Courses?
An Archival Course is a short-term study and training program that provides the student with solid knowledge of records and archives management. This Course is designed to provide the participant with the practical and application tools they need for the development of records management, including digital archives.
Because all types of institutions create and maintain records, career opportunities exist for archivists and records managers in a variety of environments, including corporations, government agencies, libraries of all types, museums, historical societies, and non-profit organizations and associations
Archival Course Program, Subjects and Content
These are some of the topics that the programmatic content of an Archive Course may include:
- Understanding the records
- Records Management
- Paper-based systems
- Electronic records
- Hybrid Systems
- Evaluations and Systems
- Record keeping
- Current regulations
- Documentary and archival management
- Organization and classification of documentary funds
- Valuation and Selection in Document Management
- Documentary transfers in a document management system
- Documentary digitization in the context of administrative work
- What are archives and how do they differ from libraries?
- Types of files
- Find and evaluate files
- Requesting materials remotely
- Visit a file
- Appendix: Sample Annotated Finding Help
Countries and Cities Where You Could Study the Archive Course for Free Getting a Scholarship
- United States
- United Kingdom
Institutes, Centers and Universities Where the Archive Course is Possibly Taught Free, through Scholarships
Archives and Records Management Course, Certificate
- Long Island University (LIU)
- New York , NY , United States.
Digital Archives Specialist Certificate Course (DAS)
- American Society of Archivists
- Chicago, IL, United States.
Archival Preservation Certification Course
- Archives and Record Association
- United Kingdom and Ireland.
Documentary and Archive Management System Course
- UTEM – Continuing Education
- UTEM Headquarters.
- Santiago de Chile, Chile.
Course: Archival Practice in Electronic Environments
- SEDIC – Spanish Society for Scientific Documentation and Information
- Madrid, Spain.
Course in Archival Techniques: Classification and Archiving Systems
- Autonomous University of Barcelona
- Barcelona, Spain.
Training Course in Archives Organization and Documentary Selection
- Directorate-General for Innovation
- F. Mexico.
Archival Resources Management Course
- International Scientific Information
- Cuauhtémoc, Mexico.
Basic Archives and Records Management Course
- Eve Archive Management
- Lima, Peru.
Records Management Training Program
- National Archives and Records Administration ADMINISTRATION
Online Course – Accredited Archives and Records Management Data Center
- Ree.co.Uk – LearnPac
Archiving Course Reference Prices
The prices of the Archival Courses are varied, ranging from $85 USD to $1400 USD or more inclusive. However, remember that many institutions offer archival courses for free.
Click for Other Studies at Different Academic Levels
Other Topics of Interest in ALPHAPEDIA
Image of Free Course